With Sen. Lindsey Graham's exit from the GOP presidential race, the 2016 field might have lost what his No. 1 fan, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said was “the candidate with the best (and it seemed sometimes the only) sense of humor.”
So how does Graham rate? We assembled five moments that show off the Graham wit:
- After Donald Trump gave out Graham's cell phone number in July, the South Carolinian responded by making a video with Independent Journal, “How to Destroy Your Cell Phone With Lindsey Graham." Whether via golf club, blender or throwing it off a roof, his old flip phone was a real goner.
2) Graham, who is single, said in June he would have his sister be first lady. He then added to the Daily Mail, “I've got a lot of friends. We'll have a rotating first lady.” Graham would have been the third bachelor elected president, following James Buchanan and Grover Cleveland. Sen. Mark S. Kirk, R-Ill, a fellow bachelor, was then picked up on a microphone during a Senate Appropriations Committee markup joking Graham was a “bro with no ho.”
3) In last week's GOP undercard debate, Graham channeled "The Princess Bride" in taking a jab at Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas: “Ted, getting in bed with Iran and Russia to save Assad is inconceivable. Princess Buttercup would not like this.”
4) At the September debate at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in California, Graham made a play for the drinkers' vote, when he explained how his administration would be different: “We’re going to drink more.”
5) At the Boulder debate in October, Graham took a swipe at Sen. Bernard Sanders, I-Vt., who's running to be the Democrats' standard-bearer: "The number two guy went to the Soviet Union on his honeymoon and I don't think he ever came back." When Sanders married his wife, Jane, in 1988, he did in fact honeymoon to Yaroslavl, part of the Soviet Union at the time.