- Kathleen Matthews Joins Race for Van Hollen's Seat
- Let Voters Judge Early Ads
- Kelly Wins Runoff for Mississippi House Seat
- DNC's Mo Elleithee Leaving Politics for Georgetown
- Rematches Invite 'Retread' Label, Familiar Themes
Actor Sean Astin’s most famous movie roles have been underdogs — he played a diminutive hobbit who helped save the world from evil in the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy and an improbably small Notre Dame footballer in “Rudy.”
He’s no less of a dark horse in his new role: campaign manager for Democrat Daniel Adler, an entertainment executive running in a special election in California to replace Rep. Jane Harman (D).
The AP reports that Astin’s pal and boss, Adler, is among 16 candidates, including several frontrunners.