Hump day goes humanitarian this week with the help of the real American heroes: biscuit sandwich-crafting toques.
Art and Soul restaurant has invited local chefs to compete in the second annual Biscuit Bash . The friendly cook-off, scheduled to take place Wednesday on the Art and Soul patio from 6 to 8 p.m., doubles as a fundraiser for DC Central Kitchen and Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry campaign. The culinary combatants include:
- Returning champ Hamilton Johnson of Vidalia, who last year clinched biscuit bragging rights with his “Hot Mess” — a black pepper biscuit stuffed with sliced country ham, eggs scrambled with wild ramps, and aged cheddar, all smothered in black pepper gravy.
- Carlos Delgado of Ocopa Peruvian Cuisine.
- Andrew Evans of the BBQ Joint.
- Jason Gehring of Mason Dixie Biscuit Co.
- Liam LaCivita of Bar Civita.
- Jesse Miller of Bar Pilar.
- Doron Petersan of Fare Well and Sticky Fingers Sweets & Eats.
- Genevieve O'Sullivan of Sona Creamery & Wine Bar.
- Members of DC Central Kitchen's 100th culinary job training class.
Per organizers, the contestants have had all kinds of fun with the assignment.
O’Sullivan, who reportedly “feels like she's ‘the underdog’ because she's not really a chef,” has prepped a locally sourced creation tentatively dubbed "Chevre Day I’m Hustlin’."
Newly minted restaurateur LaCivita apparently went whole hog. His "Pigs in Honey" entry is set to feature a biscuit outfitted with house-cured, smoked pork loin, chestnut honey butter, pickled cipollini, polenta and lardo.
Miller, meanwhile, is keeping it rich. We’re talking foie gras-buttered biscuits, crispy duck confit, hickory smoked bacon, pickled ramp slaw and buttermilk ranch sauce.
Art and Soul drinks guru Ronald Flores has been tapped to mix up a little sumthin'-sumthin' to wash it all down with (think: gin-soaked beertails). Hardywood Park Craft Brewery is expected to pour its Great Return IPA, Cream Ale and cask-conditioned brew bolstered by chilies.
Gotta go? Fork over $50 and you are golden.
The 114th: CQ Roll Call's Guide to the New Congress Get breaking news alerts and more from Roll Call in your inbox or on your iPhone.