- Kathleen Matthews Joins Race for Van Hollen's Seat
- Let Voters Judge Early Ads
- Kelly Wins Runoff for Mississippi House Seat
- DNC's Mo Elleithee Leaving Politics for Georgetown
- Rematches Invite 'Retread' Label, Familiar Themes
• Establish a workable employment verification system that prevents unlawful employment, rewards employers and employees who play by the rules and protects Americans’ right to work and their privacy: The CHC is committed to reasonable enforcement measures that ensure our system has integrity. We do not need to compromise privacy or create onerous burdens on employers and employees to do so. We need to improve on our current E-Verify system, but the concept of having a more technologically sophisticated worker verification system than the perforated blue Social Security card my grandfather, father and grandson all have is well past due.
I do not wish to minimize the areas of contention on the immigration debate. But when you look at the impasse on the budget and the sequester, when you look at so many issues that seem so bound up in partisanship and gridlock, immigration stands out as the one area where the two parties will find a way to get something done this year.
Rep. Luis V. Gutierrez, D-Ill., is a member of the Judiciary Committee and is chairman of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Immigration Task Force.