- Illinois Democrat Abruptly Drops Congressional Bid
- Jeff Miller Won't Run for Florida Senate Seat
- A Brief Electoral History of Recently Indicted Congressmen
- Becerra Won't Run for Senate
- Democrat to Detractors: I'm Doing Better Than Your Guy
The deadline for such approval under the War Powers Act was May 20, but under the law the president has an additional 30-day window. Others on Obama’s legal team, however, argued that military efforts fell short of “hostilities” and so Congressional approval was not necessary.
The White House issued a 30-page report to Congress on Wednesday night arguing that the U.S. had moved to a support role in Libya and that the absence of ground troops meant no Congressional approval was needed.
Jessica Brady and Paul Singer contributed to this article.