- Retired Army Colonel to Challenge Stefanik
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Southwest
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: Mid-Atlantic States
- Top Congressional Races in 2016: The West
- Murphy to Announce He'll Seek Rematch With Blum (Updated)
The deadline for such approval under the War Powers Act was May 20, but under the law the president has an additional 30-day window. Others on Obama’s legal team, however, argued that military efforts fell short of “hostilities” and so Congressional approval was not necessary.
The White House issued a 30-page report to Congress on Wednesday night arguing that the U.S. had moved to a support role in Libya and that the absence of ground troops meant no Congressional approval was needed.
Jessica Brady and Paul Singer contributed to this article.