- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
Former Orlando Police Chief Val Demings (D) announced Wednesday that she is running for Congress in Florida’s 8th district, the Associated Press reported.
Demings, who was Orlando’s first female African-American police chief, may face former Rep. Alan Grayson (D) in a primary. Grayson recently declared he will run for Congress in 2012, but didn’t specify the district.
The 8th district seat is currently held by Rep. Daniel Webster (R), who easily unseated Grayson in 2010, beating him 56 percent to 38 percent.
Webster raised only $30,000 in the first quarter of the year and had just under $80,000 in cash on hand at the end of March.
The decennial redistricting process is unlikely to be complete in Florida until the middle of 2012 and may substantially alter the political landscape of the Sunshine State.