- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear: In a move toward the moderate, Colbert’s Comedy Central colleague, Jon Stewart, announced that he would host the Rally to Restore Sanity to ask America to “take it down a notch” from the extremist rhetoric in the mainstream media. Not to be outdone, Colbert countered with the March to Keep Fear Alive. The combined rallies drew a reported 215,000 people to the National Mall on Oct. 30, 2010, and featured guest stars including Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Ozzy Osbourne.
While Stewart opted for some sincerity, Colbert went for the bizarre, dressing in American flag garb and creating a “Fearzilla” puppet. “I am simply raising awareness of potential dangers and then allowing an informed public to decide whether to cower in terror or to die bravely,” he said.
Jessica Estepa contributed to this report.