- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
The Paul-Leahy bill is not a compromise. It’s an expression of shared principles between the political right and left. Criminals should be punished, but the punishment should fit the crime. When justice will not be served through a mandatory minimum sentence, public safety shouldn’t be the victim, and taxpayers shouldn’t have to foot the bill. The Paul-Leahy pursuit of reform represents what is lacking in Washington: leaders setting aside partisan politics and allowing shared principles to inspire sound solutions.
Craig DeRoche is the president of Justice Fellowship and the former Republican speaker of the Michigan House of Representatives.