- Top Congressional Races in 2016: The West
- Murphy to Announce He'll Seek Rematch With Blum (Updated)
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The South
- When the Second Time Isnt the Charm
- State Senator Considering Run for Arizona Open House Seat
“It doesn’t matter whether the budget is irreconcilable or partisan,” McGovern said. “It doesn’t withhold anybody’s pay; it just delays when you get the check.”
The 27th Amendment prohibits Congress from changing member pay until an intervening election has passed, so the bill could not lawfully revoke salaries entirely. The measure instead provides for the pay to be held in escrow until the end of the 113th Congress.
Jonathan Strong and Niels Lesniewski contributed to this story.