- Top Congressional Races in 2016: The West
- Murphy to Announce He'll Seek Rematch With Blum (Updated)
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The South
- When the Second Time Isnt the Charm
- State Senator Considering Run for Arizona Open House Seat
The third proclamation came Dec. 14, when 20 children and six adults were killed in the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. The proclamation’s duration lasted for five days and was extended on Dec. 18 in honor of Sen. Daniel K. Inouye, D-Hawaii. Flags were raised again on Dec. 22.
After the Boston Marathon bombings on April 15, flags were lowered to half-staff through April 20. The six-day tribute was one of the longest in recent history. Following the Navy Yard shooting on Sept. 16, the president ordered flags to be lowered to half-staff and remain at that position through sunset on Sept. 20.