- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
Sen. Tom Coburn pulled out of the bipartisan “gang of six” Senators working on a $4 trillion package of deficit reductions Tuesday after reaching an impasse over cuts to entitlement programs.
“I’m not planning on participating at this time,” the Oklahoma Republican told reporters.
“You come a point in time where people can’t give or won’t,” he added.
Coburn said he would return to the talks if things change.
“It’s all been in good faith. ... I’ve had a great pleasure getting to know them all better, and my hope is we can bridge that, but right now I don’t see how we can,” he said.
Coburn said he didn’t think there was enough reform of entitlements.
“We have to do what’s best for this country regardless of who it costs or what, but it’s got to be balanced and I didn’t perceive where we were was balanced,” he said.