All eight employees who were exposed to lead paint dust in the Longworth House Office Building cafeteria were treated and released from local hospitals, a spokesman for Sodexo, the food service vendor that employs them, said Tuesday.
Laboratory tests over the weekend confirmed lead dust was in the kitchen area of the cafeteria Friday morning but no food was contaminated, according to the Architect of the Capitol. The cafeteria remains closed Tuesday as cleanup efforts continue.
On Friday, the building was not evacuated but the cafeteria area was cleared and shut down. Capitol Police opened the hallway area late Friday.
The incident began around 9:30 a.m. when authorities received reports of workers feeling ill after overnight construction. DC Fire and EMS evaluated 10 people and transported eight to area hospitals with minor injuries.
After the Architect of the Capitol finishes cleanup efforts, the office of the Chief Administrative Officer will also clean the cafeteria area where patrons are serviced “out of an abundance of caution and in an effort to minimize Sodexo and other employees fears,” according to an email sent by AOC staff.
David Cerbin, Sodexo's resident district manager, said through a spokesman the food service vendor workers "were treated and released, with no apparent adverse effects."
See photos, follies, HOH Hits and Misses and more at Roll Call's new video site. NEW! Download the Roll Call app for the best coverage of people, politics and personalities of Capitol Hill.