- The Donald Trump Impact: Not so Inevitable After All
- Heck Decision Prompts Rating Changes in 2 Nevada Races
- Joe Heck to Run for Nevada Senate (Video)
- GOP Women's Recruitment Effort Adapts for 2016
- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
Ravani said that though there would be some free riders, the “vast majority” of teachers understand that supporting the union is in their best interest. However, Pell said estimates indicate somewhere between 10 percent and 50 percent of teachers would stop supporting the union.
Whatever the drop, a victory for plaintiffs in the Friedrichs case in federal court could have an effect in the Vergara case in California as well as the suits in other state courts aimed at overturning tenure and other teacher protections, Pell said. The teachers union in California would have less in the way of financial resources to influence the changes required in the ruling, since it couldn’t count on fees from teachers.