- Carol Shea-Porter 'Ready to Win' N.H. Seat Back
- Lindsey Graham Rolls Eyes at Rand Paul
- Why Titus Won't Run for Reid's Senate Seat
- 14 Open House Seats, Few Takeover Opportunities
- Veteran Democratic Consultants Launch New Media Firm
Bingaman said that while his committee is looking at legislation that could potentially affect gas prices in the long term — including measures providing incentives for electric cars — there isn’t much Congress can do about the $4 per gallon price at the pump right now.
“It is not realistic to think we’re going to legislate a change in the price of oil short term,” he said.
Additionally, Bingaman, who has helped block oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge for years, said he hasn’t changed his position despite high gas prices.