- Democrats Look Past Tuesday's New York Special Election
- Reid Urges McConnell to File Cloture on Iran Bill
- Darin LaHood Raises $500K in Race to Replace Aaron Schock
- How Much Trouble Is Richard Burr in?
- DSCC Endorses Murphy in Florida
Bingaman said that while his committee is looking at legislation that could potentially affect gas prices in the long term — including measures providing incentives for electric cars — there isn’t much Congress can do about the $4 per gallon price at the pump right now.
“It is not realistic to think we’re going to legislate a change in the price of oil short term,” he said.
Additionally, Bingaman, who has helped block oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge for years, said he hasn’t changed his position despite high gas prices.