- Top Congressional Races in 2016: The West
- Murphy to Announce He'll Seek Rematch With Blum
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The South
- When the Second Time Isnt the Charm
- State Senator Considering Run for Arizona Open House Seat
Democratic operatives say Ebbin, Hope and Lopez are the other likely top contenders in the contest. All three have built-in constituencies because they’ve been on the ballot in the district before.
Democratic strategists note that Chatman was a top-tier candidate, but recent revelations that she was found liable for fraud in 2001 will likely to damage her hopes.
Although Chatman denied any wrongdoing, she was held liable for helping a friend hide assets to avoid paying $1.4 million in owed wages to employees of a nursing home he managed, according to court documents.
The winner of the Democratic primary will become the next House member from this district, in all likelihood.
Virginia’s 8th District is rated a Safe Democrat contest by Rothenberg Political Report/Roll Call.