- Manchin Is Staying in the Senate
- Congressional Hits and Misses: Week of April 13, 2015
- Wham! Bam! Comic Book Ads Target SEC Chairwoman
- Democrat Announces Senate Bid in Pennsylvania
- Context for Facebook Chatter About Presidential Candidates
LEESBURG, Va. — House Democratic Caucus Chairman Xavier Becerra said a secretive bipartisan working group he is part of on immigration is “on the cusp” of striking a deal.
“The reality is that we are on the cusp of actually having an opportunity to put forward a bipartisan proposal in the House of Representatives,” the California Democrat said.
Becerra, speaking to reporters gathered here for the House Democratic Caucus’ annual issues retreat, described the proposal coming together in broad terms.
“Very simple. Gotta have safety at our borders. We’re a sovereign nation, gotta protect our borders. Make sure the workplace doesn’t become a magnet for folks to be hired without the authorization. And then let’s be realistic and sensible about how we approach all those folks who made America their home, established businesses, have children who have gone on to be valedictorians at their high school — and let’s do these things in a very sensible way,” he said.