- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
Rank-and-file members are largely on board with where leadership is taking them, even if they were less than pleased with the tax deal that helped avert, at least partially, the fiscal cliff Congress created. Though many voted for the Jan. 1 deal, their “yes” votes will come much less easily on the debt limit, which many of them do not feel obligated to extend.
“[Obama] says he won’t negotiate to raise the so-called debt ceiling ... I have a message for him: That’s not going to happen,” Sen. Orrin G. Hatch, R-Utah, wrote in an op-ed Monday. “If he thinks I’m going to agree to more revenue so he doesn’t have to cut spending, he’s got another thing coming.”