- Illinois Democrat Abruptly Drops Congressional Bid
- Jeff Miller Won't Run for Florida Senate Seat
- A Brief Electoral History of Recently Indicted Congressmen
- Becerra Won't Run for Senate
- Democrat to Detractors: I'm Doing Better Than Your Guy
Though neither the OCE nor the Ethics Committee comment on ongoing matters, any case that is referred from the office to the committee for further action triggers a timeline after which the contents of the office’s report must be released. The committee has 45 days after receiving the case to either convene an investigative subcommittee to examine the matter or release the OCE’s findings. That window can be extended for an additional 45 days.
Financial Services ranking member Barney Frank (D-Mass.) today declined to comment on the specifics of the Bachus probe but voiced support for his fellow committee member.
“In my dealings over the years with Spencer Bachus, with whom I disagree on a number of policy issues, I have found him to be honorable and straightforward,” Frank said in a statement.