- Illinois Democrat Abruptly Drops Congressional Bid
- Jeff Miller Won't Run for Florida Senate Seat
- A Brief Electoral History of Recently Indicted Congressmen
- Becerra Won't Run for Senate
- Democrat to Detractors: I'm Doing Better Than Your Guy
Sen. Allen West? President Allen West? U.N. Secretary General Allen West? Not so fast.
The South Florida Republican Congressman said Tuesday in a tweet that he would keep his sights on winning re-election in Florida’s 22nd district.
“I’m humbled by all of your encouragement to run for higher office,” he tweeted Tuesday morning. “However, I am focused solely on winning FL-22 in 2012. This is my path.”
West, a former military officer, who beat then-Rep. Ron Klein (D) 54 percent to 46 percent in 2010, has been a fixture on cable TV since he took office earlier this year.
Two Democrats have announced campaigns against West: former West Palm Beach Mayor Lois Frankel and Patrick Murphy, a South Florida businessman.
Frankel picked up the support of the liberal EMILY’s List last week.
In the first quarter of the year, Frankel raised $255,000, Murphy raised $352,000 and West raised $457,000.