- Republican Wins Money Race in New York Special
- Congressional Hits and Misses: Week of April 20, 2015
- Pelosi Reacts to Death of Al Qaida Hostages
- Pelosi Calls Emerging Trade Deal a 'Pothole'
- Freshman's Campaign Issue Gets D.C. Attention
“You may not win today ... but I will say that you did the right thing,” Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said to Manchin and Toomey on the floor. “And it’s been my experience as a senator in this body who has not always done the right thing, that doing the right thing is a reward within itself.”
Still, Reid announced Wednesday after the failure of multiple gun control amendments that the Senate would move on to other business on Thursday. He did preserve his right to bring the measure back up at a later date, however.
A disappointed Senate Majority Whip Richard J. Durbin, D-Ill., said the Senate could return to the gun violence issue if or when members feel political heat over opposing the measure.
“I don’t think this is the end of it,” Durbin said. “It used to be that the NRA would win, we’d wait for another few years and think about it all over again.”
Steven T. Dennis and Humberto Sanchez contributed to this report.