- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
Rep. Paul Ryan (R) seems to be leaving the door open to a Senate bid in Wisconsin. The Budget chairman on Friday afternoon issued a statement applauding retiring Sen. Herb Kohl (D) but saying he needs more time to decide if he will run for the open seat.
Republicans believe Ryan, who has increasingly raised his national profile by being part of GOP leadership, would be a top recruit to make the seat competitive. But several other Republicans are considering bids.
Ryan may not want to leave his plum position to try to become a freshman Senator with far less influence.
"I was surprised by Senator Kohl’s announcement and want to take some time over the next few days to discuss this news with my family and supporters before making any decision about how I’m best able to serve my employers in the First Congressional District, our state and nation," Ryan said.