- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Plains Region
- Republicans Aiming to Register Voters at NASCAR
The day of the primary, it seems like Carnahan probably didn’t make the right choice. Insiders see Clay poised for a solid victory. A poll by SurveyUSA in the field late last week found Clay leading a horse-race matchup of likely Democratic primary voters 56 percent to Carnahan’s 35 percent. Only a third of Carnahan’s current constituents were drawn into the newly configured 1st, which put him at a disadvantage from the start of his campaign.
While the Carnahan name is powerful and well-known in Missouri — members of his family have held most of the top elective offices in the state — the Clay name is probably more potent in the 1st district. Clay’s father served as a Member from 1969 through 2000 and was directly succeeded by his son. The Clay reign looks like it will continue for at least two more years.comments powered by Disqus