Former Rep. Dina Titus made it official Tuesday night that she is running again for Congress, joining a handful of her former colleagues ousted in the 2010 Republican wave.
“I’m Dina Titus, and I’m running for Congress,” the Democrat said on Jon Ralston’s “Face to Face” Nevada TV show.
Asked whether she would run against Rep. Joe Heck (R-Nev.), who unseated her last year in the 3rd district after one term in Congress, Titus noted that it’s still unclear what district she will end up running in. The Nevada redistricting process, which is now in the courts, was complicated by a fourth district added through reapportionment and a split Legislature and Republican governor unable to compromise on a new map.
“We have to wait and see where the lines are drawn,” Titus said. “I probably won’t be in the same district as [Heck].”
Titus recently stepped down from the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, which Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) appointed her to, and left her position at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, as well.
Before entering Congress, Titus served as a state Senator for two decades.
“I will run in the district that has the most people that I’ve fought for and represented,” she said.
State Speaker John Oceguera (D) announced his candidacy Monday for a still-to-be-determined district. There will be two open seats in the state next year, including the one being vacated by Rep. Shelley Berkley (D), who is running for Senate.
“Well it would be nice not to have a primary, certainly that’s the case,” Titus said. “But anytime there’s an open seat, that’s a possibility.”
National Republican Congressional Committee spokesman Tyler Houlton said in a statement that Nevada voters have already "rejected" her voting record once.
"The fact that Titus thinks she can win back the hearts of Nevada voters after supporting Nancy Pelosi's job-killing agenda shows how out-of-touch she is with Nevada's struggling working families," Houlton said.