- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Plains Region
“Ann Marie Buerkle has had eight months to show some sort of willingness to compromise and get things done for the district or the country, and she remains as radical as ever,” Maffei told the newspaper.
Maffei was unseated after one term by Buerkle, who beat him by less than 700 votes out of more than 200,000 cast in New York’s 25th Congressional district. The vote-counting stretched on for weeks beyond the election.
The Syracuse-anchored district voted 56 percent for Barack Obama in 2008, but with redistricting and the loss of two seats in New York due to population decline, it’s unclear how the partisan makeup of the 25th will shift.