Rep. Dan Boren (D-Okla.) will not seek re-election in 2012, providing House Republicans with a prime pickup opportunity in the Sooner State.
Boren, 37, will retire instead of seeking a fifth term, according to a source close to the Congressman — marking the first House Member this cycle to announce he is leaving at the end of this Congress without running for another office.
“I have made the decision not to seek re-election next year for another term in Congress,” Boren said in a statement. “This is not an easy decision for me. It was based on the demands of constant campaigning, and most importantly spending too much time away from my family which includes two very young children.”
Republicans welcomed the news. Although Boren won re-election with 57 percent of the vote in his mostly-rural eastern Oklahoma district in 2010, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) carried it with 66 percent in 2008. The National Republican Congressional Committee had already indicated that it planned to target Boren in 2012, launching a round of automated phone calls into his district criticizing the Congressman Tuesday morning — hours before Boren was expected to announce his retirement.
"With Dan Boren's announcement today, conservatives in Eastern Oklahoma will have the opportunity to elect a Republican who will go to Washington and vote the Oklahoma way, not the Obama way,” Oklahoma Republican Party Chairman Matt Pinnell said in a statement following Boren’s news conference. “This is an opportunity, and one that the OKGOP is already working hard to make a reality next November.”
However, Republicans were mostly mum thus far on potential candidates to challenge Boren, whom they failed to recruit top candidates to run against in previous cycles. Oklahoma sources mentioned state Sen. Josh Brecheen (R) as a potential candidate in the open-seat race, but his office did not immediately return an email request for comment.
Former Rep. Brad Carson (D), Boren's predecessor, was the first to announce his candidacy for the seat just hours before Boren’s official announcement. Carson lost by 12 points to now-Sen. Tom Coburn (R) in 2004.
“I have no doubt it will be very competitive, and you don’t take anything for granted,” Carson told Roll Call in a telephone interview. “A formal announcement will be some months away, but we have every intention to get the campaign up and running sooner rather than later.”
A professor at the University of Tulsa, Carson said his “good friend” Boren called him Tuesday morning to tell him he wasn’t running for re-election, and he then decided immediately he would pursue his former seat. Carson said he has $40,000 left in his campaign account from his failed Senate bid, which he plans to roll over into a new House campaign account.
Visitors get their first look at the American Veterans Disabled for Life Memorial, which opened to the public on Monday, Oct. 6, 2014. The new memorial is located off Independence Ave. SW between the Rayburn House Office Building and HHS. Buy photo here.