Charter schools executive Clark Durant has raised more than $750,000 for his bid to challenge Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.), eclipsing fundraising expectations set by his top GOP competitor, former Rep. Pete Hoekstra.
Hoekstra is widely viewed as the Republican frontrunner to take on Stabenow next year, making Durant’s haul even more impressive.
Hoekstra's campaign team set a $400,000 to $500,000 fundraising goal for the quarter that ended Sept. 30, according to a memo obtained last month by Roll Call. John Yob, Hoekstra's general consultant, said via Twitter that the campaign had exceeded those expectations — and outraised Durant as well.
"Pete Hoekstra's number is more than $750k, zero debt, and pinched pennies. Is part of Durant's $750k from candidate? #misen #TeamHoekstra," he tweeted.
Dick Wadhams, Durant’s campaign manager, confirmed the candidate did not contribute any significant amount of his own funds to the race. But members of the DeVos family, some of the most prominent Republican rainmakers in the country, support Durant and likely helped contribute to his fundraising haul.
Durant said in a statement he’s “truly humbled and encouraged by the outpouring of support," and his campaign chalked up much of its financial success to “an aggressive effort” at the annual Michigan GOP Mackinac Conference.
Roll Call has launched a new feature, Hill Navigator, to advise congressional staffers and would-be staffers on how to manage workplace issues on Capitol Hill. Please send us your questions anything from office etiquette, to handling awkward moments, to what happens when the work life gets too personal. Submissions will be treated anonymously.