- What the Hell Happened to Jeb Bush?
- Pelosi, DCCC Use Tea Party to Fire Up Dem Voters
- Anti-Abortion Groups to GOP: Include Fiorina in Debate
- Obamacare Repeal Votes Motivate Democratic Donors
- A Democrat Begins Senate Campaign in Louisiana
A federal judge sentenced ex-Rep. William Jefferson (D-La.) on Friday to 13 years in prison, the longest incarceration ever ordered for a former Member of Congress.The sentence falls short of the maximum 33 years federal prosecutors recommended in court documents. Jeffersons attorneys recommended a term of no more than 10 years.A federal jury in August found Jefferson guilty of 11 criminal charges, including conspiracy to solicit bribes, money laundering, wire fraud and a pattern of racketeering activity. The jury determined Jefferson may have to forfeit up to $471,000, plus additional stock holdings, the income that he received as a result of those criminal activities.Judge T.S. Ellis said: Public corruption is a cancer. It needs to be surgically removed.