- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
There is also some evidence that consultations may have a cost-saving impact. When you give seniors comprehensive information about their care options as they approach the end of life, many choose care that will improve the quality of remaining life, rather than more aggressive treatments that may extend life but reduce its quality and comfort. Such advance care planning consultations are intensely personal and must be made only after a patient is fully advised of the options.The American Bar Association has actively encouraged all adults to engage in health care advance planning for more than 25 years. This proposal, if kept alive in any final version of health care reform, significantly moves patient care in that direction. It deserves the support of anyone who wants patients’ voices to be well-informed, heard and honored.Carolyn B. Lamm is president of the American Bar Association.