- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
In an early bright spot for Republicans Tuesday night, Puerto Rico Resident Commissioner Luis Fortuño (R) was elected the islands governor in a landslide.
Fortuño is the first Republican to win the governorship since 1969 and only the second Republican since 1949.
Luis Fortuño made history today by becoming the first Republican elected Governor in Puerto Rico in a generation, Republican Governors Association Executive Director Nick Ayers said in a statement. Representative Fortuño is the type of leader the GOP needs to grow the party.
Fortuño was first elected to Congress in 2004, becoming the first Republican elected from Puerto Rico.