- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
Republican sources confirmed Thursday that 18-term Rep. Ralph Regula (R-Ohio) will announce his retirement imminently, perhaps as soon as Friday. A Regula spokesman would not confirm the retirement announcement.
Regula’s northeast Ohio district is considered a prime pickup opportunity for Democrats in an open-seat scenario. President Bush carried the district with 54 percent of the vote in 2004, but Democrats are high on their candidate, state Sen. John Boccieri.
Republican state Sens. Kirk Schuring and Ron Amstutz have expressed interest in running for Regula’s seat if the Congressman retires. Ashland County Commissioner Matt Miller, who lost to Regula in the 2006 Republican primary, already is running.
— Shira Toeplitz and David M. Drucker