- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Plains Region
The two state political powerhouses were statistically tied in a new survey by Mason-Dixon Polling and Research, which was conducted for Lee Newspapers with 20 months to go in the race.
The Democratic Senator took 46 percent and Rehberg 45 percent, and 9 percent were undecided. The poll of 625 registered voters was taken March 14-16 and had a 4-point margin of error. Still, a 12-point lead among independents offered encouraging news for the incumbent.
“It's one of the few races you'll see where both candidates already have a built-in statewide organization,” Mason-Dixon President Brad Coker said.
Tester is among national Republicans’ top targets, and Rehberg’s candidacy gave the GOP a top challenger.