- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
St. Patrick’s Day isn’t just for freckled lads and lasses anymore. These days, everyone is Irish, including Members of Congress.
Many lawmakers are capitalizing on the drinking extravaganza, er, holiday, and using it as a backdrop for fundraisers. The usual suspects such as Reps. Jerry McNerney (D-Calif.) and Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.) will be hosting events Thursday, but so will others who don’t have any apparent ties to the land of Guinness and leprechauns.
For example, Rep. Eliot Engel is holding a fundraiser Thursday. Though instead of saying, “Kiss me, I’m Irish,” the invitation reads, “Kiss me, I’m Yiddish.” For $1,000 per person, supporters of the New York Democrat can mix and mingle during their lunch hour at the National Democratic Club Townhouse.
“I may be a Jewish Member of Congress, but on St. Patrick’s Day, we are all Irish,” Engel tells HOH.