- Candidates Look to Make Family Legacies in Congress
- Cruz's Struggle: This Man Loves to Argue
- DSCC Topped $5 Million in March
- NRSC Raised $4.9 Million in March
- NRCC Outraises DCCC in March, Is Now Debt-Free
The sub-basement of the Library of Congress’ James Madison Building caught fire Friday morning, prompting the evacuation of the entire building and closing of several surrounding streets, according to Capitol Police reports.
As of 11 a.m., the building was cleared for re-entry.
Independence Avenue and C Street between First and Second streets Southeast and Second Street between Independence Avenue and C Street Southeast have been closed.
An investigation is under way to determine the cause of the fire, but Pepco was called to help fix the issue, suggesting an electrical problem could have sparked the flames. No injuries were reported, Capitol Police spokeswoman Sgt. Kimberly Schneider said.