- Ratings Change: Kirk's Race Now Tilts to Democrats
- Congressional Hits and Misses: Best of Rob Bishop
- Carol Shea-Porter 'Ready to Win' N.H. Seat Back
- Lindsey Graham Rolls Eyes at Rand Paul
- Why Titus Won't Run for Reid's Senate Seat
The South Dakota Republican, who had been weighing a White House bid for several months, said that — at least for the time being — he wanted to focus on his duties as a Senator. Thune serves as the GOP Policy Committee chairman, the fourth-ranking leadership position, and is considering jumping into the race for either Whip or Conference chairman.
“There is a battle to be waged over what kind of country we are going to leave our children and grandchildren and that battle is happening now in Washington, not two years from now,” Thune said in his statement. “So at this time, I feel that I am best positioned to fight for America’s future here in the trenches of the United States Senate.”