- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
Defeated Rep. Tom Perriello (D-Va.) would consider running for the Senate in 2012 if Democratic National Committee Chairman Tim Kaine opts not to enter, Perriello told the Washington Post on Wednesday.
“It’s obviously nice” to hear his name mentioned as a contender to succeed Sen. Jim Webb (D), who announced last week that he would not seek re-election in 2012, Perriello said.
But he was also deferential toward Kaine. “I join many others in hoping Tim Kaine will step up in this spot. ... He’d be a great choice,” he said of the former Virginia governor.
Perriello lost his 5th district seat after just one term to Republican Robert Hurt in November. No Democratic candidates have emerged in the Senate race, while former Sen. George Allen (R) is attempting to win back the seat he lost to Webb.