- Republican Wins Money Race in New York Special
- Congressional Hits and Misses: Week of April 20, 2015
- Pelosi Reacts to Death of Al Qaida Hostages
- Pelosi Calls Emerging Trade Deal a 'Pothole'
- Freshman's Campaign Issue Gets D.C. Attention
File this under super-nerdy news.
President Barack Obama’s motorcade will make history Tuesday night as the first automobile motorcade not to release carbon emissions en route to the Capitol for the State of the Union address.
The National Resources Defense Council has purchased carbon offsets to ensure that Obama’s round trip between the White House and Capitol will be “carbon neutral.”
“Offsetting the president’s motorcades is meant to put on tonight’s agenda an awareness of the need to move America more vigorously toward a clean-energy economy, and that personal actions matter,” NRDC Executive Director Peter Lehner said in a release.
The offsets were purchased through the Bonneville Environmental Foundation and will “fund projects that create a reduction of, or capture, carbon dioxide pollution somewhere else,” according to the NRDC.