Smoke was reported on the sixth floor of the Library of Congress’ James Madison Memorial Building on Wednesday but has now cleared.
The smoke on the sixth floor and burning odors on other floors resulted from a malfunctioning air handler on the seventh floor, said Pete Piringer, spokesman for the D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department.
The Madison Building was partially evacuated, Piringer added, but people were allowed to return. No injuries were reported.
Independence Avenue between First and Second streets was closed but has now reopened to traffic.
Former Sen. Scott Brown, R-Mass., candidate for U.S. Senate in New Hampshire, holds his hand over his heart during the singing of the national anthem as he waits to take the stage for his town hall campaign rally with Sen. John McCain at the Pinkerton Academy in Derry, N.H., on Monday, Aug. 18, 2014.