Smoke was reported on the sixth floor of the Library of Congress’ James Madison Memorial Building on Wednesday but has now cleared.
The smoke on the sixth floor and burning odors on other floors resulted from a malfunctioning air handler on the seventh floor, said Pete Piringer, spokesman for the D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department.
The Madison Building was partially evacuated, Piringer added, but people were allowed to return. No injuries were reported.
Independence Avenue between First and Second streets was closed but has now reopened to traffic.
James Jones, communications director for DC Vote, tapes a "DC Constituents Service Day" sign on the wall as he stands with other DC residents outside of Rep. Andy Harris's office on Capitol Hill to protest Harris' actions against D.C.'s marijuana laws on Thursday, July 24, 2014. DC Vote encouraged DC residents to bring their complaints about city services to the Maryland congressman.