- Let Voters Judge Early Ads
- Kelly Wins Runoff for Mississippi House Seat
- DNC's Mo Elleithee Leaving Politics for Georgetown
- Rematches Invite 'Retread' Label, Familiar Themes
- Party's History of Establishment Picks Could Be Over
“The only people that are grumbling are Members of Congress,” said U.S. PIRG’s Gary Kalman, who spoke at the Dec. 2 press conference along with officials from the Campaign Legal Center, Common Cause, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, Democracy 21, Judicial Watch, League of Women Voters, National Taxpayers Union, Public Citizen and Taxpayers for Common Sense.
A House resolution establishing the OCE is included in the chamber’s internal rules. House Members could opt to eliminate those provisions when the rules are approved at the start of the 112th Congress.
But Democracy 21 President Fred Wertheimer noted that House lawmakers could also take other avenues to diminish the OCE’s abilities, including cutting the office’s funding.
Jackie Kucinich contributed to this report.