- Republican Wins Money Race in New York Special
- Congressional Hits and Misses: Week of April 20, 2015
- Pelosi Reacts to Death of Al Qaida Hostages
- Pelosi Calls Emerging Trade Deal a 'Pothole'
- Freshman's Campaign Issue Gets D.C. Attention
“The only people that are grumbling are Members of Congress,” said U.S. PIRG’s Gary Kalman, who spoke at the Dec. 2 press conference along with officials from the Campaign Legal Center, Common Cause, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, Democracy 21, Judicial Watch, League of Women Voters, National Taxpayers Union, Public Citizen and Taxpayers for Common Sense.
A House resolution establishing the OCE is included in the chamber’s internal rules. House Members could opt to eliminate those provisions when the rules are approved at the start of the 112th Congress.
But Democracy 21 President Fred Wertheimer noted that House lawmakers could also take other avenues to diminish the OCE’s abilities, including cutting the office’s funding.
Jackie Kucinich contributed to this report.