- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
Speaker Nancy Pelosi will fly to Norway to attend the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony Friday for recipient Liu Xiaobo.
Liu was awarded for his nonviolent struggle for human rights in China. He was sentenced last year to 11 years in prison for “inciting subversion of state power,” and Pelosi presented a letter asking for his release during a visit to China in May 2009. The House on Wednesday passed a resolution congratulating Liu on winning the 2010 Peace Prize and calling for his release from prison.
“In passing the House resolution yesterday, the American government sent a clear message of support for individuals who stand for non-violence, justice, democratic freedoms and the defense of fundamental human rights,” Pelosi said in a statement Thursday. “As a courageous advocate of peaceful political change, Liu Xiaobo’s message of reform is an inspiration to the entire world.”