- Top Congressional Races in 2016: The West
- Murphy to Announce He'll Seek Rematch With Blum (Updated)
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The South
- When the Second Time Isnt the Charm
- State Senator Considering Run for Arizona Open House Seat
Hastings told reporters Thursday that he had spoken to Boehner and other leaders about the merits of shifting the energy portfolio to his jurisdiction, saying Members on the Energy and Commerce Committee “have a lot on their plate with health care and some other things.”
“I’m going to work as hard as I can, and I hope we’ll be successful” in shifting energy responsibilities, he said.
Proposals for changing committee jurisdictions must be accepted by the Republican Steering Committee and ratified by the House Republican Conference when it meets to decide its rules in the coming weeks.
“I’ve had conversations with the leaders, [but] at the end of the day, the Conference will be the ones that make this decision because they have to ratify that,” Hastings said. “But listen, right now I’m just simply in a mode of trying to make my case as best I can.”