Despite rumors to the contrary, embattled Rep. Rick Renzi (R-Ariz.) issued two statements Friday insisting that he has no intention of resigning.
Renzi released one statement in the morning before updating his comments around 12:30 p.m. with a more emphatic statement in which he again vowed to serve out the remainder of his current term.
“For several weeks, I have been the subject of leaked stories, conjecture, and false attacks about a land exchange,” the three-term Congressman said. “None of them bear any resemblance to the truth, including the rumor that I am planning on resigning.”
Those remarks, among the first Renzi has made regarding the investigations into his actions, came on the heels of less demonstrative prepared comments he issued Friday morning.
“I am honored to have recently been re-elected, and I’m looking forward to continuing to serve the people of the 1st district for the next two years,” was all Renzi said in his first statement.
Renzi has been the subject of rumors that he is on the verge of resigning his Northeastern Arizona House seat ever since it was reported that an insurance business owned by his wife was raided by the FBI last week. The Phoenix Business Journal reported today that Renzi’s resignation is imminent and could come as early as today.
Renzi has been the subject of two different investigations, with at least one of them going back to before the Nov. 7 elections, when Renzi won re-election over attorney Ellen Simon (D) with 52 percent of the vote. Federal authorities are investigating Renzi’s role in a land swap deal, and The Wall Street Journal reported earlier this week that a grand jury in Tucson is meeting to consider possible indictments.
Former Sen. Scott Brown, R-Mass., candidate for U.S. Senate in New Hampshire, holds his hand over his heart during the singing of the national anthem as he waits to take the stage for his town hall campaign rally with Sen. John McCain at the Pinkerton Academy in Derry, N.H., on Monday, Aug. 18, 2014.