- Democrats Look Past Tuesday's New York Special Election
- Reid Urges McConnell to File Cloture on Iran Bill
- Darin LaHood Raises $500K in Race to Replace Aaron Schock
- How Much Trouble Is Richard Burr in?
- DSCC Endorses Murphy in Florida
The Senate on Tuesday rejected an amendment sponsored by Sen. Patrick J. Toomey, R-Pa., which would speed up the rebuilding of transportation infrastructure following natural disasters.
"This is just common sense," Toomey said on the Senate floor before the vote.
Sen. Benjamin L. Cardin, D-Md., however, said the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee already created an expedited process for post-disaster projects and said Toomey's amendment could lead to "tremendous abuse" by over-riding environmental laws.