Burris resigned from Congress in November 2010.
Sen. Roland W. Burris (D-Ill.)
- District: Junior Senator from Illinois
- Residence: Chicago
- Born: August 3, 1937; Centralia, Ill.
- Religion: Baptist
- Family: Wife, Berlean M. Burris; two children
- Education: Southern Illinois U., Carbondale, B.A. 1959 (government); Howard U., LL.B. 1963
- Military Service: None
- Political Highlights: Sought Democratic nomination for Ill. House, 1968; Department of General Services director, 1973-77; sought Democratic nomination for Ill. comptroller, 1976; Ill. comptroller, 1979-91; sought Democratic nomination for U.S. Senate, 1984; Ill. attorney general, 1991-95; sought Democratic nomination for governor, 1994; independent candidate for mayor of Chicago, 1995; sought Democratic nomination for governor, 1998, 2002; U.S. Senate, 2009-present
- Elected: Appointed: 2009 (1st term); Appointed by Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich, D, to replace Barack Obama, D, who was elected president
- Committee Assignments: Armed Services (Airland; Personnel; Readiness & Management Support); Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs (Disaster Recovery; Federal Financial Management; Oversight of Government Management); Veterans' Affairs
State Information: Illinois
|2004||general||Barack Obama (D)||3,597,456||70%|
|Alan Keyes (R)||1,390,690||27%|
|Albert Franzen (I)||81,164||1.6%|
|Jerry Kohn (LIBERT)||69,253||1.4%|
|1998||general||Peter G. Fitzgerald (R)||1,709,041||50.3%|
|Carol Moseley-Braun (D)||1,610,496||47.4%|
|Don A. Torgersen (REF)||74,704||2.2%|
|Raymond W. Stalker (Write-In)||280|| |
Vote For President
|2008||Barack Obama: 61.92%||John McCain: 36.78%|
|2004||John Kerry: 55%||George W. Bush: 44%|
|2000||Al Gore: 55%||George W. Bush: 43%|
|1996||Bill Clinton: 54%||Robert Dole: 37%|
|1992||Bill Clinton: 49%||George H. W. Bush: 34%|
|1988||Michael Dukakis: 49%||George H. W. Bush: 51%|
|1984||Walter F. Mondale: 43%||: |
Source: CQ Member Profiles
A comprehensive look at lawmakers and the constituencies they serve.
©0000 Congressional Quarterly Inc. All Rights Reserved.