- The Donald Trump Impact: Not so Inevitable After All
- Heck Decision Prompts Rating Changes in 2 Nevada Races
- Joe Heck to Run for Nevada Senate (Video)
- GOP Women's Recruitment Effort Adapts for 2016
- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
Republican challenger David Rouzer served as an aide to North Carolina GOP Sens. Jesse Helms and Elizabeth Dole. A former staffer at the Agriculture Department with a laid-back Southern style, he appears to be a pragmatic mainstream conservative rather than a tea partyer.
McIntyre voted against the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, against repealing ďdonít ask, donít tellĒ and for repeal of the health care reform law. He also voted for the GOPís Cut, Cap, and Balance bill, and he has been a reliable vote for conservatives on most controversial social issues.
Republicans are hoping district voters ignore McIntyreís moderate votes and focus on his party label. That is more likely to happen in the campaignís final weeks, but so far the Congressman has run a very good race and canít be counted out.
Stuart Rothenberg is editor of the Rothenberg Political Report.