- Let Voters Judge Early Ads
- Kelly Wins Runoff for Mississippi House Seat
- DNC's Mo Elleithee Leaving Politics for Georgetown
- Rematches Invite 'Retread' Label, Familiar Themes
- Party's History of Establishment Picks Could Be Over
On the Republican side, there is extensive chatter among Mississippi insiders that Sen. Thad Cochran could be considering retirement. He raised just $18,000 in the fourth quarter and had $326,000 on hand, though money is unlikely to be an issue should the Appropriations ranking member decide to run.
“There are a whole lot of Mississippians from both parties who put their heads on the pillow at night hoping Thad Cochran runs again in 2014,” John Keast, a former chief of staff to Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.), said of the powerful appropriator.
Abby Livingston and Joshua Miller contributed to this report.