- Edwards Releases Senate Fundraising Totals
- Academics Say Higher Education Prepared Them for Higher Office
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: The Mountain Region
- Top Races to Watch in 2016: New England
- Top Races in 2016: The Midwest
State Sen. Mike Kowall (R-Mich.) announced this week that he filed paperwork to run in GOP Rep. Thaddeus McCotter’s district.
McCotter is running for president, leaving a slight possibility that the 11th district could be an open seat next year. But state Republicans view a McCotter presidential bid as a long shot, forcing a potential primary match between Kowall and the incumbent.
Kowall noted in his announcement that he is a small-business owner and worked as a state Representative and township supervisor before serving in the state Senate.
Republicans in the state Legislature recently passed a map that makes McCotter’s district safer for the GOP, although still potentially competitive for Democrats. Democrats have suggested two-term Rep. Gary Peters (D), who was moved into the same district as 15-term Rep. Sander Levin (D) under the new map, could potentially run for the 11th district seat.