- Republican Wins Money Race in New York Special
- Congressional Hits and Misses: Week of April 20, 2015
- Pelosi Reacts to Death of Al Qaida Hostages
- Pelosi Calls Emerging Trade Deal a 'Pothole'
- Freshman's Campaign Issue Gets D.C. Attention
While it seems insurmountable, the task facing the Joint Committee on Deficit Reduction shouldn’t hinder necessary reforms to Medicare. On the contrary, the current debate presents a window to implement significant changes that produce huge financial savings.
The easiest path forward typically isn’t the best one, especially with seniors willing to make Medicare a vote-driving issue. For a divided Congress facing a tense electorate, the opportunity to act is very real. Prioritizing waste, fraud and abuse will show that Washington understands this.
Former Sen. John Breaux (D-La.) is senior counsel for Patton Boggs LLP.