- Illinois Democrat Abruptly Drops Congressional Bid
- Jeff Miller Won't Run for Florida Senate Seat
- A Brief Electoral History of Recently Indicted Congressmen
- Becerra Won't Run for Senate
- Democrat to Detractors: I'm Doing Better Than Your Guy
Detailees are the "types of people who know these agencies and bureaucracies inside and out on every layer. They have the experience and expertise to know where the bodies are buried."
Additionally, beyond identifying places to cut spending, these officials can also "defend good programs ... they know the good and the bad," Hing added, because they have a better understanding of how programs are working.
Nevertheless, Lilly argues that the changes could result in higher long-term costs to taxpayers and that the GOP's insistence they are using well-aimed scalpels to identify cuts "flies completely into the face of what they're actually doing."
Laura Barron-Lopez and Jonathan Easley contributed to this report.comments powered by Disqus