- Manchin Is Staying in the Senate
- Congressional Hits and Misses: Week of April 13, 2015
- Wham! Bam! Comic Book Ads Target SEC Chairwoman
- Democrat Announces Senate Bid in Pennsylvania
- Context for Facebook Chatter About Presidential Candidates
Former ambassador and Republican National Committee Co-Chairwoman Ann Wagner, who is running for Congress in Missouri’s 2nd district, definitively ruled out switching to a Senate bid, knocking down rumors that she might switch races.
In an interview, Wagner told Roll Call she thought being a Member of the House is where she could have the biggest effect. She cited her lifelong connection to the St. Louis region, having been born in the 2nd district. She faces attorney Ed Martin in the Republican primary for the open seat. Rep. Todd Akin is leaving the House to run for Senate.
Akin and the two other declared GOP contenders for the Senate nod to challenge Sen. Claire McCaskill (D) are seen as lackluster by many Republicans, and Wagner has raised more than $1 million since she entered the race in April. But she told Roll Call she is committed to the House race.
“Absolutely, positively, unequivocally will not be running for the United States Senate,” she said.